Call Us Today 781.848.5980
Call Us Today 781.848.5980

What if my Spouse Lies on his/her Financial Statement?

By Ullian Associates of The Law Firm of Ullian & Associates, P.C. on April 9, 2015

If you believe your spouse is lying on his/her Financial Statement filed with the Court there are several things you and your attorney can do. Discovery is the process in a lawsuit to find out more information. You can use Interrogatories, which are a series of questions that must be answered under the pains and penalties of perjury, to discern more information about the person's employment. You can request documents from your spouse such as pay stubs and tax returns to see his/her income. You can take a Deposition, which requires a person to appear at the office of the attorney who requested the Deposition and answer, under oath, oral questions that are relevant to the case. The questions and answers are transcribed by a stenographer and compiled in a document called a transcript. Deposition can take several hours and many of the questions may appear tedious. Additionally you can subpoena, or request documents, from your spouse's employer such as payroll records, the initial offer letter, bonus and commission information, and information on their retirement and health benefits. Your spouse's bank records can also be subpoenaed to discover where the money is going. If you have concerns that your spouse is lying on their Financial Statement, talk to your divorce attorney about your options.

For more information on bankruptcy or to schedule your free consultation with The Law Firm of Ullian & Associates, P.C., contact us here.

What Our Clients Say

“ Dear John – I want to thank you for helping me through a difficult time in my life. I couldn't have gone through it without your help. ”


All Testimonials